Following a traumatic brain injury (TBI)—whether it has affected you or a loved one—it's not uncommon to wonder how many other people are dealing with the same thing.
Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
Before a brain injury happens, it's not generally something you'd ever have to think about. However, it's now an unfortunate reality that confronts you every day of your life. Arming yourself with some statistics about traumatic brain injuries can help you understand what other people are going through and empower yourself through education.
According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), these are a few key facts about traumatic brain injuries in the United States:
- Approximately 1.7 million people sustain a TBI every year. Of those people, 52,000 die, 275,000 are hospitalized, and the other 80 percent are treated and released from an emergency room.
- The age groups most likely to sustain a TBI are children ages up to four years old, older teens aged 15 to 19 years, and adults aged 65 years and older.
- TBI rates are higher for males than females in every single age group.
- Falls are the overall leading cause of TBI, but motor vehicle and traffic injury is the leading cause of TBI-related death.
- TBI is a contributing factor in one-third of all injury-related deaths in the country
The silver lining in all of these statistics is that about 75 percent of TBIs that occur every year are mild forms of traumatic brain injury. While no one would certainly ever want even a mild TBI, it gives many victims hope of recovery and returning to a life that's as close to "normal" as possible.
Contact an Experienced South Carolina Brain Injury Attorney
If you or a loved one suffered a traumatic brain injury in South Carolina and it was the result of another person's negligence, you may want to consider filing a personal injury claim to obtain the compensation that you deserve. Contact the Law Office of Kenneth Berger in Columbia today for a free consultation by calling 803-790-2800 or by filing out an online contact form.