House Fire Injures Child in Carolinas

Posted on Sep 12, 2013

Though the burn victims our law firm currently represents all live in South Carolina, we pay a great deal of attention to news coming from neighboring states. In September 2013, we saw a story out of Fayetteville, North Carolina involving a child who was injured in an early morning house fire. The cause of the fire may be a great lesson to South Carolina families.

Fred Jones stated that in the middle of a September morning, he woke to flames shooting from his house. Jones banged on the children’s windows to wake them. The children survived, but not without serious injury. Mr. Jones’ 12-year-old son was being treated for third-degree burns on his feet and arms at the time of this story.

Authorities believe that a lit and unattended candle started the fire. Repair crews boarding up the home claim it to be a miracle that there were no deaths.

The landlord voiced her concern about the situation saying, “My heart has been on those kids….I just pray that all is well with them.”

Please remember to never leave candles unattended and to supervise children anytime fire is involved. Likewise, you should never go to sleep with candles still burning.

Our hearts go out to the Jones family, and we hope this story helps prevent future burn injuries in South Carolina.

Kenneth Berger
Columbia South Carolina attorney dedicated to securing justice by helping the truly injured