Each year, nearly 200,000 children are injured in auto accidents. As a South Carolina child injury attorney, I have seen the impact these car accidents have on young people and their families. Though many injuries are unavoidable, sometimes the harm can be lessened. My job as an injury lawyer is not only to advocate on behalf of child victims, but to provide the public with information that may help them avoid accidents and lessen the consequences.
I am therefore offering the following safety tips from seatcheck.org. Please consider this information when selecting and using your child’s car seat.
5 Car Seat Safety Guidelines to Keep Your Children Safe
- Children should ride facing the back of the car until they are at least 2 years old, or until they outgrow their rear-facing safety seat.
- Never place a rear-facing safety seat in front of a passenger air bag.
- Children who have outgrown their rear-facing safety seat can ride facing forward, but should remain in a car seat with a harness up to the highest weight or height allowed by the seat.
- All children whose weight or height is above the forward-facing limit for the safety seat should use a belt-positioning booster seat until the vehicle’s seat belts fit properly.
- Always read both the instructions that come with the child safety seat, then get your seat checked to make sure everything works properly.
A Child Injury Lawyer Can Answer Your Questions About Keeping Children Safe in South Carolina
My staff and I recognize that every case gives us the opportunity to make our community safer by holding people and companies that have violated safety rules accountable for their wrongdoing. I believe that we can also make our community safer and healthier by providing as much free legal and safety information as possible to you.
As a SC child injury lawyer, I would be honored to answer any questions you may have regarding safety regulations, negligence, and what we can do together to make our state safer for our children. Call our office today at (803) 790-2800 or start a chat with us now.