Car crashes often result in injuries that require medical treatment. But what happens if you cannot afford necessary medical care? One option may be a "letter of protection." 

What is a Letter of Protection?

Signing a letter of protection (LOP)Many doctors and physical therapists across South Carolina will treat you at no cost on the front end in return for a letter of protection from an injury attorney that states your balance will be paid out of the settlement proceeds when the legal case concludes.

For example, you may need 6 weeks of physical therapy at a cost of $1,800.00. If the car wreck knocked you out of work or you are without health insurance, you may be unable to afford the out-of-pocket costs physical therapy poses. However, the therapist may be willing to treat you so long as you sign a letter (i.e contract) agreeing to pay him out of your settlement funds.

Use Letters of Protection with Caution After a Car Wreck

Letters of protection - also known as "lien letters" - are an important tool for uninsured accident victims in South Carolina. Nonetheless, I encourage you to approach these agreements with caution, as you do not want an unethical chiropractor, therapist, or medical doctor running up a huge bill simply because they see dollar signs. 

If you have any questions related to medical treatment after an auto accident, or if you would like me to review a letter of protection for you at no charge, call my South Carolina car accident attorney team in Columbia today at 803-790-2800. As a car accident attorney, my job is to protect your legal and financial interests so that you can focus on getting well. 

Kenneth Berger
Connect with me
Columbia and Myrtle Beach car accident and personal injury lawyer dedicated to securing justice for clients.