Should Medicaid and/or Medicare cover medical bills after a car accident? My name is Kenneth Berger. I'm a lawyer in South Carolina, and I wanted to make a short video to help answer those questions.

Alright, let's talk about Medicaid first. Medicaid is a yes. So, if you have any bills from a car wreck, make sure they get submitted to Medicaid, and Medicaid should cover those. As importantly, you shouldn't have any balances left over from any of the medical providers. In other words, a hospital couldn't charge Medicaid $1500 and then try to say you owed them another $250. That's a big no-no. So, file them with Medicaid, and that should take care of any medical balances. At the end of your case, okay, at the end of a case, any type of settlement or verdict would have to pay back Medicaid some of that money. But, as I tell people, look, I'd much rather pay back Medicaid a couple of thousand dollars than owe a hospital tens of thousands.

Alright, on Medicare, that answer's a little trickier. The short answer is: yes, Medicare usually does cover your bills. Sometimes, different hospitals and medical providers will try to skip around Medicare, but we do everything in our power, and you should do everything in your power to get those bills filed with Medicare. Then, if Medicare chose not to cover them - which is rare, very, very uncommon - but if Medicare chose not to cover them, there's a different path to navigate. But, the short answer is: submit them to Medicare. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no, but almost always, they are covered under what's known as a conditional payment. Same idea: Medicare pays for it. At the end of your case, we pay Medicare back, but we pay Medicare back a lot less than we'd owe some medical provider with a big bill.

Hope this answers your questions. If you have any other questions about a car crash or any other type of injury case, reach out to us. We're always glad to help, and have a wonderful day.

Does Medicaid Cover My Car Accident Injuries?

First, if you have Medicaid in South Carolina, you should use it to pay for all medical bills related to your car crash. Second, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) - which runs our state's Medicaid program - will seek to be reimbursed for the money it spent on your medical treatment. With that said, I would much rather you owe Medicaid $3,000.00 than a hospital $30,000.00. In addition, DHHS will reduce the amount of money you have to repay them out of your settlement by at least 25% if you have a South Carolina car accident attorney.

So in sum, the answer is "Yes." If you currently receive Medicaid benefits and got in an auto accident in South Carolina, you should be able to receive the medical treatment you need, but not at a cost that will swallow your entire settlement. I have represented a number of Medicaid recipients in personal injury cases and would be glad to answer any questions you have. For a free consultation, call me today at (803) 790-2800 or contact us by using the live chat box below. 

Contact Columbia Car Accident Lawyer Kenneth Berger

Car Accident Lawyer Kenneth BergerWhether you were just in a wreck and don't know what to do, or have tried to deal with the insurance company on your own and become frustrated, I am here to help you regain control. While you focus on getting well, I focus on obtaining full justice for every harm and loss caused by the accident.

To schedule a free case evaluation and begin receiving guidance, use our live chat feature. Our offices are conveniently located in Columbia and Myrtle Beach, and we have been proudly servicing clients throughout the surrounding areas. Contact us online today or call us at 803-790-2800 (Columbia, SC) / 843-427-2800 (Myrtle Beach, SC). If you're not ready to talk, but still want to learn more about your rights, allow us to mail you a complimentary copy of Safety First, Justice Always: Your Guide to South Carolina Auto Accident Law