Were you or someone you love injured in Myrtle Beach and looking for an injury attorney? If so, continue below (3 minute read).
Myrtle Beach is a popular vacation spot for residents of South Carolina and others throughout the country. It is a wonderful place to relax and spend time with loved ones. Unfortunately, a vacation can turn into a disaster if you are injured in an accident caused by an individual or business’ negligence. As a Myrtle Beach personal injury lawyer, I believe it’s my duty to ensure you are aware of your rights as a vacationer or resident, as well as the dangers that come with visiting or living in a tourist hot spot.
What Locations Pose the Greatest Risk of Injury in Myrtle Beach?
Tourists and residents alike are needlessly injured each day along South Carolina’s Grand Strand. Whether it is a brain or spine injury, fracture, or worse – far too many people are getting hurt in the Myrtle Beach area. High incident rate areas include:
- Hotels and resorts. If you are staying at a hotel or resort, you could sustain injury caused by wet flooring or any number of property defects. The swimming pool can also pose a drowning hazard if the filters or drains are not maintained properly. Bottom line: the owner of the property owes you the highest duty of care to eliminate unreasonable risks of harm, keep the property in a safe condition, and warn you of any dangers.
- Rental property. Many vacationers like to rent a beach house or condominium rather than stay at a hotel. While such a property can be ideal for larger families, there have been many instances of deck collapses, stairwell accidents, burns, and other injuries attributable to a lack of maintenance.
- Beaches. While the beach can be both beautiful and fun, it can also be dangerous due to riptides, unsafe recreational equipment, and broken boardwalks. Furthermore, the docks and piers of Myrtle Beach present a high risk of slip and fall injuries.
- Amusement parks. Defective rides can lead to serious, if not fatal accidents. Roller coasters and Ferris wheels are but two of the types of rides that have made national headlines because of the horrific consequences brought on by equipment malfunctions.
- Boat tours and recreational boating. While a boat tour off the coast of Myrtle Beach can serve as a fun family outing, it might also pose significant, hidden risks – especially if the operator proves reckless. Likewise, jet ski, kayak, and pontoon boats are often a great way to spend an afternoon, yet another person’s negligence could leave you vulnerable to a boating accident. Inexperience, inattention, and impaired operation are just a few factors that can create a dangerous boating environment.
- Roads. Myrtle Beach can be a very dangerous place to drive. The roads are often crowded with people who are unfamiliar with the area and the city’s dangerous intersections. Drinking and driving is also a constant issue that becomes even more prevalent during the summer vacation months. Myrtle Beach car crashes and DUI accidents often have consequences that stretch far beyond ruining a vacation. Whether you live in, or are just visiting the Grand Strand, please remain aware of your surroundings and watch out for negligent drivers.
3 Ways a Myrtle Beach Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
1. Efficiently communicate with your insurance company.
Every day, victims of unfortunate accidents struggle to receive the compensation they deserve from insurance providers. It’s important to understand that insurance is a business first and foremost. And, in order to maximize profit, insurance providers attempt to limit the money they pay out for claims. This often leads insurance companies to offer low settlements that don’t cover all the costs associated with your wreck, like medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage.
Personal injury lawyers spend day after day communicating and negotiating with insurance companies to help their clients seek fair settlements. Their years of experience allow them to communicate more effectively with your insurance company, which can help take the burden off your shoulders, so you can focus on healing.
2. Prevent your medical bills from going into collections.
After an accident in South Carolina, an at-fault party’s insurance provider typically does not make an offer on your case until your medical bills and records are submitted. This means that you or your health insurance company are responsible for paying your medical expenses until your settlement or jury award is disbursed. If you don’t have health insurance and you don’t have the out-of-pocket funds to cover your medical fees, they will likely go into collections.
Myrtle Beach accident lawyers can work with your providers to set up a payment plan or can even ask them to hold the charges until after your case is over using a “letter of protection.” A letter of protection is sent from your lawyer to your doctor and assures the doctor’s payment in the event your case is settled.
3. Preserve evidence to help your case.
Evidence can make or break your case. Whether it’s finding witnesses who saw the car accident firsthand or it’s obtaining surveillance footage, securing evidence can help recreate your story to share with the insurance company and the jury, if it goes to trial. Therefore, it’s critical to begin identifying and preserving evidence as soon as possible after being injured. The longer you wait, the greater chance of evidence being lost or destroyed, which can negatively impact the outcome of your case.
A personal injury attorney can help you by sending letters to defendants and insurance companies to guarantee no evidence is destroyed. If the defendant fails to do so, your attorney can use this information in court to infer the destruction of evidence as an indication of their guilt.
Let a Myrtle Beach Personal Injury Lawyer Take the Burden Off Your Shoulders
Over the years, we have represented a number of Myrtle Beach residents and visitors. No matter where you live, when you are in South Carolina, our laws are meant to help keep you safe. If someone else – or a business – breaks the rules and causes you harm, hiring an experienced personal injury attorney can take the burden off your shoulders. Instead of dealing with insurance companies, chasing documents, responding to emails, or having to justify the value of your hardship, we want you to simply concentrate on getting well.
An accident attorney who understands South Carolina personal injury law, has experience negotiating with insurance companies, and appreciates the toll physical harm has upon a human being, can gather the facts and evidence needed to obtain full justice.
At the Law Office of Kenneth E. Berger, our personal injury legal team has helped clients from many parts of South Carolina and the rest of the country obtain a life-changing result after being involved in a life-changing accident. Start a live chat or call our office today at 843-427-2800 to learn how we can assist you.